Friday, October 14, 2011

PC and Internet Security Lab



Firstly I thought the Atomic Learning Tutorials were great, short, concise and seemingly accurate. They covered what I am aware as basic internet and computer security. Honestly none of the topics were necessarily new to me. I did select the ones I felt would help me the most and I did learn something new in most of them.

“Securing Internet Explorer” was the first one I looked to. I liked this because I often avoid Internet Explorer but am forced to use it sometimes. I was interested in this prospective, and frankly thought it was useful. My previous knowledge of IE’s security short comings is the reason I did not have a practice to fix, I just generally use other applications.  Now I am often asked for advice from people who like IE and it will be nice to be able offer some advice about using it.

“Explaining what intrusion detection software does” was another training I viewed. I picked this one because I (at the time) did not recognize “intrusion detection” has a software type. After the video started and explained I realized what they were referring too. My thought was that was normally included in your anti-virus, and for the most part it should. I use BitDefender and AntiVir which both incorporate detection in their software. But now I know it’s a special little thing that may not be included in some software.

“Explaining what firewalls do and don't do” was the last one video I watched. I chose this one to see if there was anything I might learn. It was interesting to hear them talk about anti-virus software in terms of firewall, when I think firewall I generally think blocking ports; this expanded the definition to me.

1 comment: